Monday, July 16, 2012

Teddy's Birth Story

Teddy has only been with us for two weeks, but it feels like forever ago that we welcomed him into this world.

The day before Teddy was born, at my 39 week doctor appointment, I was informed I had only progressed one lousy centimeter to two. With all the pain I had been having, I was convinced I was in active labor. My doctor had recommended scheduling an induction before the holiday. But knowing that it hadn't passed my due date yet and previously thinking my due date was a little early anyways, we decided against scheduling the induction and were going to play the waiting game. That night, Nick convinced me to take a long walk even though my legs, back, and pretty much whole body ached. Sure enough, I woke up Thursday morning at around 5am with mild contractions every 15 minutes. We went about our morning as usual, taking Max to swim class, Nick off to work and a quick trip to Target. In the middle of Target at around 10:30am, I had to take a pause to breathe through a contraction. I figured if shopping couldn't distract me from the pain, it was time to head home and call in for backup. Nick came home around noon and my parents arrived by 1pm.

My last picture being pregnant. I sure won't miss that!

Over the next couple of hours, I walked around the house distracting myself through every contraction, which were about five minutes apart. I finally called my doctor (which of course happened to be her one day off of the week) and was told to head in when I felt ready. I waved the white flag to Nick after about 30 more minutes when nothing - even two screaming kids - was helping to distract the pain. 

We arrived at the hospital by 3:30pm and were taken directly to our room for check-in. After what seemed like 3,000 questions from the nurse, I was praying my difficult contractions had put me at the halfway mark. When the nurse finally examined me, I was only 4 cm dilated. I then decided that walking it out was my best option. The nurse unhooked all my monitors and I was free to roam around. I stood up and instantly felt the nausea overcome me. I laid back in bed while Nick ran out to get a snack. While alone in the room for 5 minutes, one strong contraction broke my water. I called the nurse to inform her and also to give a heads up that I would be ready for an epidural very soon! During this short time, my contractions were on top of each other and the nausea was dominating any energy I had to breathe through the pain. Not more than two minutes later, I felt a surge of pressure and yelped out loud that this baby was on its way out. With my eyes shut tight, I could feel the rush of the nurses around me, fixing the bed for delivery, prepping for the baby and calling for the doctor. Within minutes (although what seemed like an eternity), I was told to roll onto my back and push. Two short pushes later, Teddy entered the world at 4:35pm - one hour after arriving at the hospital! He weighed 7 lbs, 5 oz and measured 19 1/2" tall.

Now, at two weeks old, Teddy weighs 7 lbs, 14 oz and has grown to 21 1/2" long. He still sleeps the day away and on average gives me two hour stretches at night. Our baby came into this world very quickly and continues to warm our hearts each day. My beautiful family of 5 is now complete!

1 comment: